...

...

Thursday 15 December 2016

"All We Ask of You is Respect", plea of an intersex person


“Just respect us. When you see a khuwajasara – respect them. We have been thrown out of our own homes and all we ask of you is respect." This was a message a member of intersex community left for us as she departed from the launch event on 10th of November. Her narration of certain events drove the most people present at the event to tears. Her battle with abuse; her own brother inflicted upon her; while she was experiencing changes in her body, the flat refusal to attend funeral of her own mother because she would bring nothing but 'dishonor' to the family, and another incident that gives an insight into how badly these people are treated by the society,
"What do I tell you about hospitals? 5-6 days ago I was walking past a hospital and a man called out to me: “A khuwajasara is lying dead inside.” I went inside to find the
khuwajasara’s dead body lying there for 8 days. No one came to receive the dead body. Someone had left her there to die. And that’s where she died. I found an ID card inside. And I asked the hospital to hand over the body to me. They said I should bring forth a relative to which I replied: “Do you think she has family? She’s been lying in the hospital with no one to pick her up for 8 days."


The mainstream society, more than anything, needs to question the rules it has set for these people; who didn't choose to be who they are. All they want is their rights and respect as a citizen of the social structure. Is that too much they are asking for?

No comments:

Post a Comment