...

...

Thursday 15 December 2016

"Once labeled a drug addict, no one will trust you anymore", says an ex drug addict.




Most of the rehabilitated drug addicts fail to get back into the society because the society treats them as outcasts. Some of the addicts admitted that though they had tried to get rehabilitated from the scourge but to no avail as the society continued to snub and scorn them. They became despondent as the community failed to accept them. Umul Baneen a senior year Psychology student at Forman Christian College shared her interviews with drug addicts at Fountain House and Bridge Rehabilitation Centre. (The names cannot be revealed under the ethical and confidentiality terms.)
"The people in my locality don't like me, even my neighbor hates me. My greetings are ignored and instead I only get a piece of their mind. I have never been given the chance to prove myself and mingle with the community for support. I ended up feeling disappointed and went back to my old ways," said a 31 year old drug addict who has recently joined rehab again to become sober."
Another recovering drug addict at Fountain House shared,
"I was 16 then and peers had introduced me to a man who dealt in drugs. It started out as a casual thing, then I ended up trying other drugs which led to addiction until now though I hope to change. When something is stolen or goes missing, the first person that the villagers will accuse is drug addicts like me, even after just being released from rehabilitation. Once labeled an addict, no one will trust you anymore."
Though, a large number of drug addicts try hard to stop the drug habit but society's unforgiving behavior drives them into confusion and dependence on drugs bringing them in and out of rehabilitation centers. Many deteriorate further and end up on the streets.
(Fountain House strictly guards the identity of its patients. Pictures and names cannot be disclosed because of confidentiality issues.)

No comments:

Post a Comment